Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Stollen-Daring Bakers December Challenge


The 2010 December Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Penny of Sweet Sadie’s Baking. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make Stollen. She adapted a friend’s family recipe and combined it with information from friends, techniques from Peter Reinhart’s book.........and Martha Stewart’s demonstration.


A Stollen is a  cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar. The cake is usually made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices. Stollen is a traditional German cake, usually eaten during the Christmas season.  Panettone , an Italian bread is similar to Stollen.  I used lemon peel, orange peel,almonds and dried sour cherries in mine along with the raisins soaked in rum.  This is another recipe you cannot throw together in the morning.  The dough needs time to rise and rest and rise and rest.  I started my recipe the morning of December 22nd and was taking it out of the oven the evening of December 23rd. It was well worth the effort. Once it was cut it disappeared quickly.  I'm glad I added the sour cherries,it just added another taste dimension to it.  I can imagine that if I had kept it for a few more days the flavors in it would have developed even more-but I couldn't stop myself from cutting into it. And after all I did make it for Christmas Eve dinner.  We finished off the last piece after dinner on Christmas Day.  Hmm, might have to put together another one.  I hope you enjoyed your holidays with your loved ones. And thanks to Penny at Sweet Sadie's Baking for this challenge.













3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sour cherries sound like a tasty addition, and your stollen looks beautiful.

Todd M said...

I love the festive photos. I have seen a few people use the sour cherries - sounds like a nice addition.

Roadtrek Girl said...

Thank you both for stopping by and the sour cheeries were a delicious addition