Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In Honor of the Olympics

I was trying to think of what to bake to commemorate the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.  I was thinking something golden and sweet and came across a recipe in Paris Boulangerie-Patisserie: Recipes from Thirteen Outstanding French Bakeries for Bombes Amandes.  They look so pretty in the pictures.


The recipe is from the oldest Patisseries in Paris-Stohrer.  I couldn't find the recipe on the internet so I won't be publishing it here-copywright laws you know-so go and buy the book!   It is not one of those simple throw it together recipes. But I figure if the athletes can do all that training and preparation well a little mise en place on my part won't hurt me. The recipe requires you to make the pate sucre dough ahead of time (and it is a dough that needs gentle handling).Make sure you ground your almonds to a powder consistency -you don't want lumpy,bumpy bombes! And make sure you don't leave any lemon seeds behind or lemon pith. I made the dough the night before and used my silicone muffin molds that I bought last year.  I followed the recipe from the book exactly and these came out perfectly! All I can say is yummy and Bon Chance to Vancouver and all the athletes gathered there!

No comments: